Contractor-Lighting Designer, DSM High School Musical Theatre Awards
Position responsibilities focus on collaborating in the development of the annual Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musical Theatre Awards (DSM HSMTA), which will take place on May 14, 2020. The Lighting Designer will be responsible for designing all of the lighting elements of the DSM HSMTA.
- Design lighting effects for each of the musical performances and the DSM HSMTA ceremony.
- Suggest and work with lighting rental vendors to ensure that the DSM HSMTA have the necessary lighting equipment needed successful execution of the production.
- Design lighting looks based solely on music and without seeing actual blocking/staging in certain circumstances.
- Creation of a master light plot for the production.
- Recruit and aid in the hiring of a projection designer, within approved budgets.
Required credentials, experience and skills:
- 3+ years experience in theatrical lighting design.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with union stagehands to ensure the successful execution and hanging of the master light plot.
- Strong ability to understand the DSM HSMTA as a competition based on collaboration and not divisiveness and convey this attitude to all involved in the production.
- Demonstrated reliability, punctuality and professionalism.
- Candidates must successfully complete a criminal background check per DSM hiring protocols.
- Ideal candidate will have a passion for arts education and working with young people, educators and artists and 3+ years experience working with high school students.
- Strong communication and good interpersonal skills; at ease relating to people from varying educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Selected candidates may be required to fill out a Conflict of Interest form.
- Availability for all key meetings, rehearsals and tech/performance dates beginning in early February 2020 through May 2020, including weekend and evening rehearsals as needed. Tentative dates include:
- February 7, 2020: Production Meeting
- March 13, 2020: Production Meeting
- April 10, 2020: Production Meeting
- April 25, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 2, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 9, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 11, 2020: Tech
- May 12, 2020: Tech/Dress
- May 13, 2020: Tech/Dress
- May 14, 2020: Awards Show
- Strong belief in collaboration both within the organization and outside of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major in arts-related and or educational area preferred.
DSM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and termination of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, sub-contractors, vendors, and clients.