Contractor-Sound Engineer, DSM High School Musical Theatre Awards
Position responsibilities focus on collaborating in the development of the annual Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musical Theatre Awards (DSM HSMTA), which will take place on May 14, 2020. The Sound Engineer/Head of Sound will be responsible for all of the sound aspects of the DSM HSMTA.
- Responsible for amplifying, mixing, recording, syncing, and reproducing sounds and effects for the DSM HSMTA.
- Prepare the mics, soundboard and equipment for the performance, as well as maintain the quality of sound throughout the performance
- Ability to prepare, maintain and track 20+ mics throughout the performance.
- Responsible for creating a master mic tracking sheet, in collaboration with the Production Stage Manager, for the performance.
- Ensure a balanced and high-quality mix of performers and orchestra during the performance.
- Responsible for checking sound levels and equipment functionality, running sound checks and other tasks.
- Collaborate closely with the Music Director and 20+ piece orchestra to ensure the necessary and appropriate tools and equipment are available.
- Ability to work with union stagehands to ensure the successful execution of all sound requirements and setup.
Required credentials, experience and skills:
- 3+ years experience in theatrical sound/audio engineering.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong ability to understand the DSM HSMTA as a competition based on collaboration and not divisiveness and convey this attitude to all involved in the production.
- Demonstrated reliability, punctuality and professionalism.
- Candidates must successfully complete a criminal background check per DSM hiring protocols.
- Ideal candidate will have a passion for arts education and working with young people, educators and artists and 3+ years experience working with high school students.
- Strong communication and good interpersonal skills; at ease relating to people from varying educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Availability for all key meetings, rehearsals and tech/performance dates beginning in early February 2020 through May 2020, including weekend and evening rehearsals as needed. Tentative dates include:
- February 7, 2020: Production Meeting
- March 13, 2020: Production Meeting
- April 10, 2020: Production Meeting
- April 25, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 2, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 9, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 11, 2020: Tech
- May 12, 2020: Tech/Dress
- May 13, 2020: Tech/Dress
- May 14, 2020: Awards Show
- Strong belief in collaboration both within the organization and outside of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major in arts-related and or educational area preferred.
DSM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and termination of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, sub-contractors, vendors, and clients.