Contractor-Coach/Mentor, DSM High School Music Theatre Awards
Position responsibilities focus on collaborating in the development of the annual Dallas Summer Musicals High School Musical Theatre Awards (DSM HSMTA), which will take place on May 14, 2020. The Coach/Mentor is responsible for working directly with the Lead Actor and Lead Actress nominees on their adjudication pieces, ensuring that each student is fully prepared and confident going into their final adjudication.
- Responsible for coaching the Lead Actor and Lead Actress nominees in their contrasting musical solos.
- Ensure that each Lead Actor and Lead Actress nominee is fully prepared for their final adjudications.
- Educate and mentor students on various musical theatre acting techniques and styles.
- Serve as a mentor to students, creating a trusting and safe environment with nominees in which they are comfortable rehearsing and performing at their greatest ability.
Required credentials, experience and skills:
- 3+ years working as a professional acting coach or musical theatre educator.
- Ideal candidate will have a passion for arts education and working with young people, educators and artists and 3+ years experience working with high school students.
- Strong ability to understand the DSM HSMTA as a competition based on collaboration and not divisiveness and convey this attitude to all involved in the production
- Demonstrated reliability, punctuality, and professionalism.
- Strong communication and good interpersonal skills; at ease relating to people from varying educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Selected candidates may be required to fill out a Conflict of Interest form.
- Candidates must successfully complete a criminal background.
- May 14, 2020: Awards Show
- Strong belief in collaboration both within the organization and outside of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major in arts-related and or educational area preferred.
- Availability for all key meetings, rehearsals and tech/performance dates beginning in early February 2020 through May 2020, including weekend and evening rehearsals as needed. Tentative dates include:
- February 7, 2020: Production Meeting
- March 13, 2020: Production Meeting
- April 10, 2020: Production Meeting
- April 25, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 2, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 9, 2020: Rehearsal
- May 11, 2020: Tech
- May 12, 2020: Tech/Dress
- May 13, 2020: Tech/Dress
DSM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and termination of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, sub-contractors, vendors, and clients.